There are many delicious ways to make vegan burgers. You can use various plant-based ingredients to prepare the patty, such as mushrooms, beans, legumes, tofu, seitan, tempeh and jackfruit. You can also add your favorite spices and flavors to customize the burger to your liking. For example, you can make a smoked tempeh burger with black beans and mushrooms.
The tempeh gives the burger a firm, chewy texture while adding protein. Another option is the Vegan King Oyster Burger, which encases mushrooms in a vegan buttermilk batter flavored with Cajun spices for a crispy and flavorful patty. You can also try making a vegan pulled jackfruit burger, using the jackfruit as a substitute for pulled pork and absorbing the flavors of the marinade.
What is a vegan burger?
The origins of the vegan or vegetarian burger date back to the early 1980s. Although there are many claims of an invention, one of the earliest known versions of the veggie burger was created in London in 1982 by Gregory Sams, who dubbed his creation the “VegeBurger”. Sams and his brother Craig had had an organic operated a restaurant in Paddington, London, and their VegeBurger was sold in packs at the local supermarket.
In the decades that followed, veggie burgers became increasingly popular and appeared on chefs’ and restaurants’ menus, with several now appearing in the early 1990s popular brands, including Gardenburger and Boca Burger. These early veggie burgers were typically made with grains and vegetables and were primarily marketed to vegetarians.
As more and more people have turned to a plant-based options over time for health, environmental or ethical reasons, the market for veggie burgers has grown. There are now many delicious and innovative vegan burgers made from a range of plant-based ingredients such as mushrooms, beans, legumes, tofu, seitan, tempeh and jackfruit.
Interest in plant-based meat substitutes has increased in recent years, and many companies are developing new products that mimic the taste and texture of meat as closely as possible. These products have helped spread the word about vegan burgers and made them more accessible to a wider audience.
Why Choose a vegan burger over traditional meat burger?
1. One of the main benefits of choosing a vegan burger over a meat burger is that it can be a healthier option over a traditional meat burger.
2. Another great benefit of choosing a vegan burger over a meat burger is that it can have a lower environmental impact which helps us all in the long run!
3. For those like me who are concerned about animal welfare, choosing a vegan burger over a meat burger can be an important ethical choice.
4. One of the great things about vegan burgers is that they come in a wide variety of flavors and textures.
Here are the ingredient’s to make your very own vegan burger!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Burger buns and toppings of your choice
Below are instructions for creating your perfect vegan burger!
1. Start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Take a large sweet potato and prick it several times with a fork. Place the sweet potato on a baking sheet and bake it in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until it is tender and fully cooked.
3. Once the sweet potato is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool until it is cool enough to handle. Then, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of the sweet potato and place it in a large mixing bowl.
4. To the bowl with the sweet potato, add one can of drained and rinsed chickpeas, 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Use a potato masher or a fork to mash everything together until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture is relatively smooth.
5. Next, use your hands to form the mixture into burger patties. The number of patties you can make will depend on how large you want them to be. Place the formed patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake the patties in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through the baking time, until they are firm to the touch and lightly browned on both sides.
7. Once the patties are done baking, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Then, serve them on burger buns with your flavorite toppings.
Some topping ideas for this vegan sweet potato burger could include avocado, lettuce, tomato, red onion, pickles, vegan mayo or aioli, mustard, ketchup, or BBQ sauce. You can also get creative and add other toppings that you enjoy!
What other toppings can I add to my vegan burger?
There are many delicious toppings that you can add to this vegan sweet potato burger to make it even more flavorful. Some classic toppings include avocado, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and pickles. You could also add condiments such as vegan mayo or aioli, mustard, ketchup, or BBQ sauce.
If you want to get creative, you could try adding some non-traditional toppings such as sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, or even a slice of grilled pineapple for a sweet and savoury flavour combination. The possibilities are endless so you should experiment with foods you enjoy!
Can I add cheese to my vegan burger?
To add cheese to the burger, simply place a slice of vegan cheese on top of the patty during the last few minutes of cooking. The heat from the patty will melt the cheese and make it nice and gooey. Then, assemble your burger with the melted cheese and your other flavorite toppings.
How long does it take to make vegan burgers?
I don’t have time, can I just buy vegan burgers?
Of course ! there are many named brands that sell vegan burgers.Some of the better-known brands include Beyond Meat, Linda McCartney, and Birds Eye. These brands offer a wide variety of vegan burger options made with various plant-based ingredients like beans, legumes, tofu, seitan, tempeh, and jackfruit. In addition to these top brands, there are also many other popular vegan burger brands to choose from. For example, Amy’s offers different types of vegan veggie burgers and Boca offers both vegan veggie burgers and vegan chicken patties.dr Praeger’s offers a wide variety of vegan veggie burgers, while Hilary’s offers a flavorful adzuki bean burger. Trader Joe’s also offers the popular Veggie Quinoa Burger. With so many delicious options available from these popular vegan burger brands, it’s easy to find a tasty and filling plant-based burger you’ll love. Many of these brands are widely available in supermarkets and grocery stores, making it easy to buy a pack of vegan burgers and try them at home.
I like to have a glass of red wine or iced beetroot juice to wash it all down with right after a slice of apple pie!
Enjoy your delicious homemade vegan sweet potato burgers!